For the last 5 years I have had one of the raddest backpacks in the world. It’s grey-wash faux denim, huge in size (like, Mary Poppins would be jelly kind of huge) and I procured it for the measly sum of $5 at a discount outlet when I very first moved to Melbourne.
I covered it in patches and buttons (or “badges”, as we call the latter here in Australia), and every time a hole or tear would pop up, I will dutiful mend it. And then the straps started breaking. And then the entire base of the bag started to wear so thin I would have needed to replace the entire panel. This last stage happened right before I went to America, and whilst there I bought another version of the coolest backpack in the world.
Now i’m home and I think it’s time to just let bygones be bygones. I’m trying to be less attached to material possessions (probably a residual effect of going to boarding school at the age of 6), so i’ve decided to say goodbye to my old backpack. But! One of the joys of covering it in patches and pins is that I can strip them off and reuse them in some sort of a re-incarnation of my once precious side-kick.
I’ve been wanting to add to the collection, so have been doing a little research and have found A WORLD of the most amazingly awesome patches, pins & buttons that money can buy. I was mostly searching for “feminist” and “body positive”, but hey some of these are just totally epic in a way that embodies the essence of being a bopo feminist (even if not in direct relation).
So without further ado, feast your eyes on my wishlist (in no particular order) of sensational decorative embellishments!
1. “Support Your Local Girl Gang” by halfstitchembroidery
2. “DIY or DIE” by owlbus
3. “Whatever Forever” by Sarah M Lyons
4. “Sounds Like Bullshit To Me” via LostThenFoundPatches
5. “Eat Cake” by Kaylyn Weir x Little Arrow Studio
6. “Hairy Legs” by TheFeltedFaun
7. “100% Organic Whoop Ass” by dahliasoleil
8. “Double Trouble” by Gemma Flack
9. “Back Fat is Bitchin'” by kirstywinters
10. “Pucker Up, Creep” by Sugarbones
11. “My Cup of Tea” by ModernGirlBlitz
12. “Bloody Hell” by Live Sick Die Ill
13. “Catcall Me and I’ll Key Your Car, Motherfuck” by Live Sick Die Ill (because I just can’t get enough of their stuff)
14. “Riots Not Diets” by TheNerdyFeminist
15. “Pit Hair – Don’t Care” by CreepyGals
16. “Make Herstory” by HexYourself
17. “Carb Queen” by Sabre Tooth Dream
18. “Bad Luck Babe” by Sick Girls Official
19. “Fight Like a Girl” by Jade Boylan
20. “Beat It, Creep” by Lillian Cuda
21. “Feminist” by kateslittlestore